Akamai Technologies, Inc. Commercial Data Scientist in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Commercial Data Scientist
Cambridge, United States
May 22, 2018 Post Date
012991 Requisition #
About the Team
The Sales, Marketing, and Finance Operations teams manage the operational aspects of Akamai's product and go to market organizations. These include such activities as revenue and productivity planning, reporting and analyzing key performance metrics, and developing processes within the organization to drive efficiency gains. The Reporting and Analytics team in Marketing Operations is responsible for business performance metrics, attribution metrics, and predictive models that drive our marketing initiatives.
About the Job
Akamai is growing fast, and so is the volume of data we manage. We need someone with the experience to apply sophisticated data analysis techniques in our fast-changing, entrepreneurial environment. If you love being the detective, analyzing business problems, predicting the future, eliminating the status quo, and testing whether your hypotheses were right, then this role is full of opportunity for you.
This scientist will work closely with Marketing, Sales, Finance, and IT analyzing hierarchical data, predicting and optimizing sales, and determining the best marketing and sales plays and when to launch those plays. A successful scientist in this role will know how to connect and leverage existing, but disparate, data inside and outside of Akamai. An outstanding scientist will see what they are missing, creating and testing out new solutions – including getting your hands dirty, and cleaning data to reveal patterns.
If you enjoy taking a business problem and turning it into actionable output into a system for others to act on and use, then you’ll like this job. This really isn’t a job for the faint of heart – you must be persistent – you must be someone that never surrenders and never retreats; someone with a “relentless forward motion…Thrilled by small victories, undeterred by setbacks” until finally reaching your goal.
Help business leaders in Sales and Marketing formulate critical questions that may be answered through analytics
Scope out, create, deliver and implement analyses and predictive models on time
Use critical thinking skills to define and validate ambiguous business objectives and concepts such as customer lifetime value
Translate jargon into English
Take initiative to keep up with developments in the field of data science, and to independently learn on the job.
Required Qualifications and Education
• BS/BA with 5 years’ experience, or MBA/MA with 3+ years’ experience in business, finance, or statistics, with hands-on experience conducting statistical analyses, including developing and implementing predictive models
• 5+ years experience working in a sales or marketing functional team
• 3+ years experience working with sales and marketing performance data, and solid understanding of marketing and marketing KPIs
• 3+ years experience with SQL, Linux (PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server), R (R Studio and command line) feature engineering, dimensionality reduction, linear and non-linear regression; experience manipulating and cleaning data
• 3+ years experience in evaluating and implementing new data sources and analytical solutions
• 3+ years experience communicating and presenting insights from complex data to non-technical and senior audiences
• 1+ years experience with extracting and parsing unstructured data (e.g., XML, JSON).
• 1+ years experience and success in working with cross-functional teams (especially IT, sales, services, marketing, finance, and customer support)
• Experience creating and deploying models determining propensity to buy, next best offer, and customer lifetime value
• Experience in NLP, sparklyr or sparkR, rsparkling, H2O, Git, Docker
• Data visualization using ggplot, plotly or Shiny
• R Studio Server & Connect
• Experience in creating APIs using R and deploying models in Marketo and Salesforce
• Experience in the high-tech industry
• Independent and critical thinker
• Ability to work directly with diverse people of different backgrounds
• Strong problem solving skills when faced with disparate data sets
• Strong oral communication skills and ability to present analytical results to a non-technical audience
Is relocation available for this position: No
Is US Citizenship required: No
Is a Security Clearance Required: No
If yes, applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation & must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai is the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, making the Internet business ready—fast, reliable, and secure—for its customers. The company's advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, Akamai has offices around the world and operates the most pervasive, highly distributed CDN—with more than 200,000 servers in 110 or more countries—delivering up to 30% of all Web traffic. Learn more atwww.akamai.com/careers.
Akamai is a growing, and evolving, company with offices and operations around the world. As such, we strive to foster inclusive and representative workplaces where all employees are wholly welcome, and enabled to share and benefit from each other’s diverse contributions, as one global team. Our commitment to diversity reaches beyond our corporate offices, to our business partners and suppliers who share the same principles, and whose employees we value as integral to the Akamai business family. Learn more atwww.akamai.com/diversity.